Tuesday, December 22, 2009

What is the biggest thing you learned this year?

So, today I had lunch with my friend Sumpuran. She will be caregiver numero uno for both mr. pants as well as ms. mouche. She is a lovely friend who is the proud pet of mr. winston and cookie.

We went to Taaj Palace for a very, very vata pacifying lunch preparing the way for a very vata inciting flight and evening itinerary. by the way... it worked... i feel pretty darn good and grounded.

Anyway, Sumpuran asked me what the biggest thing or maybe it was the most impressive or useful thing I have learned this year at the Institute.

I am floored to realize that I didn't have a concrete answer. It is actually a hard question to answer. It is a good opportunity for meditation.

This is the beginning of my answer:

One of the big things I learned this year is what it means to be situated in self. this is a multifaceted experience. on the one hand, it means something that I found fairly profound which is that i am important enough to be sure to take care of myself. in fact the only way i am truly effective for my clients is when i am truly effective in myself... balanced... the adage seems obvious, "Doctor, heal thyself." But really how many really take that to heart. A friend of mine described to me how the conventional medical school beats that concept out of you before you ever hit residency.

When the healer is sick or imbalanced, and we only see reflections of ourselves, how can we ever see the truth in the patient?

to be continued...

No comments: